BOTOX is one of the most popular treatments at our med spa in Lexington, KY, and has long been known as somewhat of a miracle treatment for dynamic wrinkles. But it turns out, BOTOX can do a whole lot more than just help you look young.
A Brief History of BOTOX
BOTOX, known in the medical world as botulinum toxin Type A, was developed by a doctor in San Francisco in the 1970s. He was looking for ways to correct crossed eyes and discovered that BOTOX could temporarily relax overactive eye muscles. A small drug company (now Allergan) purchased the rights to BOTOX in 1987, and BOTOX became available for eye muscle disorders.
Then, in the mid-90s, the cosmetic effects of BOTOX became better understood. Doctors noticed that patients who received facial injections with BOTOX enjoyed smoother skin with fewer wrinkles. The United States Food and Drug Administration approved BOTOX for cosmetic purposes in 2002, and the rest is, as they say, history. Today, BOTOX remains the most popular nonsurgical wrinkle treatment in America, with over 7.23 million procedures performed in 2017, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
What Else Can BOTOX Treat?
From migraines to mild depression, BOTOX can be a total game-changer. Here are just a few of the many conditions BOTOX treats:
- Bruxism*: People who grind their teeth or clench their jaw can find relief by paralyzing the jaw muscles with BOTOX injections. Unlike mouth guards, which only prevent tooth damage, BOTOX injections prevent the clenching action that leads to tooth damage and an overdeveloped jaw. After just a few treatments, the muscles are not strong enough to grind, thereby offering lasting benefits.
- Migraines: BOTOX is commonly used to relieve migraine headaches in people who suffer from both chronic and classic migraines. Treatments are performed by injecting BOTOX around the head and neck, which relaxes the muscles that contribute to migraine headaches. In some cases, insurance may cover the cost of injections.
- Incontinence*: Men and women who suffer from bladder leakage, urgency, and frequency can benefit from BOTOX. BOTOX is FDA-approved for overactive bladder and a single treatment can provide relief for up to 6 months. It also eliminates the need for daily pills.
- Mild depression: It may seem strange, but facial BOTOX injections might make you happier. According to an article in the Journal of Psychiatric Research, a phenomenon called emotional proprioception could explain why. The theory says when we make facial expressions that tell our brain we’re sad, we feel sad. BOTOX stops the facial muscles from making these expressions, which prevents the “I’m sad” message from getting to the brain.
- Excessive sweating: BOTOX has been approved by the FDA for excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis) since 2004. When injected into overactive sweat glands, such as the underarms, BOTOX prevents sweat from being produced. One treatment takes about 30 minutes, and improvements can last 6 months before you need a touch-up.
As more uses for BOTOX continue to be discovered, it remains a favorite among men and women in the Lexington, KY, area who want to deter lines and wrinkles. To learn more about BOTOX, or to schedule an appointment, contact us.
*Please note that CaloSpa does not offer BOTOX treatments for these conditions.